Thursday, June 19, 2008

And nobody was chasing them!

My husband and daughter ran the Sawtooth Relay last weekend:

Photobucket


Photobucket


They were part of a six-person team and each member of the team ran two legs. The significant other ran the shortest distance - but he had to crest the summit at 8,701 feet (rated as "Very Hard" - gee, ya think?). That leg was 5.35 miles and had an elevation gain of 1,331 feet. In exchange for that, he got to run the finishing leg, which was the easiest segment of the race. The kid ran two "Moderate" legs. I do not think that word means what they think it means.

The race organizers have this to say about the relay:
The daylight course and start times provide teams with a view of the Sawtooth Mountains at dawn. The Stanley to Ketchum course will also provide spectacular views of the White Cloud Mountains to the east as participants wind their way south along the Salmon River. Don't miss the meadows of multi-colored wild flowers on each side of the highway along the Salmon River valley floor. Half way through the 62-mile course, participants will crest Galena Summit and view the Big Wood River drainage with vistas of the Pioneer and Boulder Mountain ranges.
Personally, I would have been way too busy trying NOT TO DIE to look at the views.

The only thing having to do with legs that I've participated in lately is an MRI of my left knee this morning. It is truly amazing how difficult it is to hold perfectly still while the machine is buzzing, humming and making knocking noises. I kept worrying I was moving too much by breathing and they'd have to start all over again. But I managed to breathe in a motionless enough manner and should have the results on Monday. Ah, aging. What fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, this run sounds great! I hope everything goes fine with your knee, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Anne