Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

Working with my daughter is fun:

From: Daughter
To:
Mom
Subject: What's my name, again?

So far, it’s “Sharonsdaughter”, “Whatsername”, and “David”. Should I start wearing a nametag?

From: Mom
To: Daughter
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

I vote for "Whatsyrname." The unique spelling gives it some panache.

From: Daughter
To: Mom
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

Is that easier to spell than Kaitlin Kaitlyn Caitlyn Catelyn Caitlin? How about Siobhan? LOL

From: Mom

To: Daughter
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

Hey, I got your name from Christmas party invitations I was doing for the firm I worked for when I was pregnant with you. Just thank your lucky stars that Siobhan was not on that list or you might have had to deal with that moniker your whole life. At least you only have to spell your name for people, not pronounce it.

From: Daughter
To: Mom
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

So who am I named after? A cool, badass lady-attorney’s friend? Or someone’s grandma? Either is fine, I wouldn’t change it. Everyone else must conform to my non-conformity! >)

Good point… I’ll probably end up with a last name I have to pronounce for people… I mean, you know, another unpronounceable last name.

Yeah… how much would it suck for the beginning of every school year to be, “See-oh-buh-han? Soy-bann? Nope, I’m just not even gonna try…”

From: Mom
To: Daughter
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

Someone near and dear to some architect. And I don't even know which of the 7 or so architects was inviting a Caitlin. So, it could have been someone near and dear to a fuddy duddy older guy or someone near and dear to an alternative rockin' younger dude. Who knows after all these years.

At least an unpronounceable last name won't be anything new for you. We have prepared you well, young master - er, young mistress.

From: Daughter
To: Mom
Subject: RE: What's my name, again?

“Young master” is fine. People still walk into my copy room and call me David before they peek around the corner and see, “Oh, hey, Whatsyrface is sitting there.”

No comments: