Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bookaholic

My name is Sharon and I'm a bookaholic.

I don't think there are any 12 step programs for my ailment.

But then, I doubt I'd deem myself in need of rehabilitation if there were any programs, so it's probably a good thing they're not available. Without rehab, there can be no interventions. So, I'm safe to read to my heart's content.

Even when that means I'm completely ignoring many other obligations - like sweeping, mopping, dusting, laundry, etc.

Yes, sometimes I get into a really good book and pretty much couch potato until I've finished it (betcha didn't know you could use "couch potato" as a verb, did you?).

Over the past six months, I've taken part in two reading log swaps on Swap-Bot. It's the first time I've ever actually kept track of my reading. I've always said that I read to escape and my logs sure showed that! I had a grand total of one nonfiction book during six months of reading!

For kicks, here's my log (sans all of the descriptions):

Title

Author

False Memory

Dean Koontz

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Sophie Kinsella

Shopaholic Ties the Knot

Sophie Kinsella

Cold Case

Stephen White

The Golden Compass

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

(His Dark Materials Trilogy)

Phillip Pullman

Desperate Hours

(The Epic Rescue of the Andrea Doria)

Richard Goldstein

Murder Suicide

Keith Ablow

Breaking Dawn

Stephenie Meyer

Blaze

Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman

Manhunt

Janet Evanovich

Everyone Worth Knowing

Laura Weisberger

Power Play

Joseph Finder

A TV Guide to Life (How I Leaned Everything I Needed to Know from Watching Television)

Jeff Alexander

Confessions of a Nervous Shiksa

Tracy McArdle

Murder in Volume

D.R. Meredith

Too Late for Angels

Mignon F. Ballard

Breach of Promise

Perri O’Shaughnessy

Unfit to Practice

Perri O’Shaughnessy

Hush

Anne Frasier

The Host

Stephenie Meyer

SisterWife

Natalie R. Collins

Then We Came to the End

Joshua Ferris

I Am Legend

Richard Matheson

The Woods

Harlan Coben

Coronado

Dennis Lehane

Killer Instinct

Joseph Finder

Angela’s Ashes

Frank McCourt

Teacher Man

Frank McCourt

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Khaled Hosseini

Nobody’s Safe

Richard Steinberg

Daddy’s Girl

Lisa Scottoline

Brotherhood of the Rose

David Morrell

Creepers

David Morrell

Saving Fish From Drowning

Amy Tan

Are you There, Vodka, It’s Me, Chelsea.

Chelsea Handler

Cold Sassy Tree

Olive Ann Burns

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

Gregory Maguire

Ender’s Game

Speaker of the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Orson Scott Card

Hide

Lisa Gardner

‘Tis

Frank McCourt

Every Boy’s Got One

Meg Cabot

After Sunset

Stephen King

Change of Heart

Jodi Picoult

Retribution

Jilliane Hoffman

Veil of Roses

Laura Fitzgerald

The Hour I First Believed

Wally Lamb


I've decided to keep a log of everything I read this year. Maybe I'll try to sneak in more than one nonfiction!


1 comment:

Debra said...

Wow, that's alot. I have never been much of a reader, though this year I decided that my New Years resolution would have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, but instead would be about reading more. My daughter's read alot, my oldest has read all the classics for High School, my 11 year old has read the whole Twighlight series, and The Host. I'm starting off kind of slow, by the time my day ends and I curl up with a book, I'm so tired I fall asleep by the second page.